Buffalo Main Light Sunset
Photograph - Photography
The lighthouse was established and lit in 1833 and was deactivated in 1914. The foundation material was stone molehead and the lighthouse was constructed out of limestone and cast iron. The shape of the tower was octagonal and was 60 feet high. The lens installed in 1857 was a third order Fresnel lens. The lens was later removed to the Buffalo History Museum.
This 60-foot-tall, octagonal limestone structure is the oldest still standing in its original location in the city of Buffalo. It replaced the original 1818 light on this site along the Lake Erie shore at the mouth of the Buffalo River. Presently, it is part of an outdoor museum located on the grounds of the United States Coast Guard Station.
October 11th, 2015
Viewed 298 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 11/20/2015 at 4:04 AM